The BVI Steelman, an Olympic distance triathlon, is the most challenging event on the BVI Triathlon Federation calendar, and takes place at Beef Island. The event comprises a 1500 metre swim held in Well Bay, a 25-mile bike leg lapping the road from the airport to the ramparts of Beef Island Bridge, and ends in a six-mile run along the roads and trails of Beef Island heading towards Minines.
Next event: Saturday, November 9, Well Bay – 7am start
- Registration is at Tortola Sports Club on Friday 6.00 to 6.30 pm
Entry Fee: $20/person.
- Race will start at 7.00am.
- Drafting is allowed on bike. No aerobars or triathlon/time trial bikes.
- Swim/bike transition ….bikes against airport fence opposite slipway
- Bike/run transition on junction of road to Minine’s and airport road (same as Semi steel)
The Course & Rules
Athletes of all ages and abilities are encouraged to take part and enjoy the triathlon, competing either individually or a part of a team. NOTE: Solo athletes are responsible for setting up their own Transition stops before the start of the race. The equipment will be looked after at these stops.
1. THE SWIM Triathletes start the swim in Well Bay, Beef Island. The swimmers set out on a triangular 1.5km course before finishing out on the slipway to the Airport highway. (NOTE. Please keep the slipway clear. Bikes must be left on grass to the side of the slipway, or on the opposite side of the road leaning against the airport fence) TRANSITION 1 Team swimmers tag their Biker at the top of the slipway. Solo competitors change on the grass by the side of the slipway.
2. THE BIKE – 9 ¾ LAPS The bike is a total of 9 ¾ laps of Beef Island. From the swim exit ramp start left towards Beef Island bridge then make a U-turn at the entrance to Little Mountain Estate and head back towards the airport. Do not take the airport access road but rather continue straight along the main road to where it bends 90 degree to the left, at which point riders make another U-turn by the junction with the old road to Minine’s Nursey this completes the ¾ lap. Riders then start the first whole lap heading back towards Beef Island bridge. Riders complete nine whole laps to the Little Mount Estate junction and back finishing the bike at the Minine’s nursery junction.
TRANSITION Team cyclists tag their runners on junction of road to Minine’s and airport. Solo competitors change in this area. Given the nature of the bike course, ie. flat and fast, drafting will be allowed in the race. Mountain bikes, and road bikes allowed. Cyclists must wear a helmet. No aero bars, no triathlon/time trial bikes.
3. RUN – 3 LAPS The run consists of three laps with each lap starting and finishing at the bike/run transition. From the Bike/run transition head West down the old airport road for about ½ a mile to a painted turning circle which is 100 metres beyond the exit onto the new airport road. Run around the turning circle and return to the exit point then, turn left onto the new airport road and then fork left past the airport terminal building to the T-junction. Go straight over the T junction and across the wooden bridge following the dirt track that goes behind the Trellis Bay Cyber Cafe. The runners follow the track back to the main road turning left back to the bike/run transition. Then head East towards Minine’s garden centre for about ½ a mile until the turning point just in front of the Minine’s gate posts (Do not go all the way to Minine’s garden centre). Return to the bike/run transition to complete one lap, finish here after third lap.